What is DANGEROUS food for dogs?

What is DANGEROUS food for dogs?


Dangerous Foods for Dogs

Can a little reward from the dinner table or getting into left out snacks really hurt your dog? Well, that depends on what it is. Some of the foods listed below can be extremely toxic to dogs either with some very nasty side effects or even worse, death.

Chocolate: Starting off with one of the most commonly known toxic foods for dogs, your pup consuming chocolate isn’t just an old wives tale. It contains a toxic substance called methylxanthines which are essentially stimulants that stop the metabolic process in dogs. Even just the smallest amount of chocolate, especially dark chocolate can cause diarrhoea and vomiting. Whilst a large amount can irregular heart function, seizures and even death. If your dog ingests chocolate, be sure to contact a veterinary professional as soon as you can.

Onions and Garlic: Powdered, raw, cooked and dehydrated, keep them away from your dog! These foods can kill your dogs’ red blood cells, ultimately resulting in anaemia. Keep an eye out for signs of weakness, vomiting and breathing problems.

Macadamia Nuts: One of the lesser-known toxic foods for dogs, these, however, are one of the most dangerous ones if ingested. Part of the Proteaceae family, they can cause vomiting, increased body temperature, the inability to walk and lethargy as well as affecting the nervous system.

Grapes, Raisins and Sultanas: Just a small amount of these fruits can make your dog sick, and cause kidney failure. Nonstop vomiting is an early sign of the poisoning.

Fat Offcuts and Bones: Fat offcuts from meat, both cooked and uncooked can cause pancreatitis in dogs. Even know it only seems natural to give a dog a bone, it is a choking hazard and bones can also splinter and cause cuts in your pup’s digestive system.

Milk, Cheese, Ice Cream and Other Dairy Products: You may have slipped a piece of cheese to your dog or given it a bowl of warm milk as a pup, but the truth is that dogs aren’t built to process cow milk products. They lack the main enzyme which breaks down milk sugar, and while some dogs are more tolerant of dairy than others, many are actually lactose intolerant. Some of the side effects involve vomiting, diarrhoea as well as developing gastrointestinal diseases. The high fat content can also lead to pancreatitis.

No matter how careful you are, your dog may find something and eat it even though she shouldn’t. Make sure you keep the number of your local vet handy as well as that of the closest emergency vet. If you think your dog has eaten something toxic, call for emergency help right away.

About The Author

Dog Food Specialist

Contact Us

If you have a question or comment about Ultimates Indulge and our products you can contact us by:
Telephone: Our Free Customer Service Line is 1800 819 785
Email: mail@ultimatesdog.com.au
Mail: Customer Service P.O. Box 1085, Elizabeth Vale, SA 5112

Office Locations

Adelaide Head Office

189 Philip Highway, Elizabeth South, SA 5112, Australia
Ph: +61 8 8282 1000
Fax: +61 8 8282 1099

New South Wales Office

Office 101A/ 8 Century Circuit / Northwest Business centre / Norwest / 2153
PO BOX 7490 / Baulkham Hills / NSW / 2153
Ph: +61 2 8852 2103
Fax: +61 2 9659 5330

Safcol Central Fish Market Adelaide

54-58 London Road, Mile End, SA 5031, Australia
Ph: +61 8 8234 0177
Fax: +61 8 8352 8020

Packaging sustainability “Please use Red cycle bins outside retailers to recycle our products that are packed in pouches”